South Tetcott Hunt- A Brief History
Country sports, and especially hunting has dominated the area around Tetcott for many years, certainly since the eighteenth century. John Arscott, the father of the old Tetcott Hunt, was born around 1719 and lived all his 70 years at Tetcott with his beloved hounds kennelled nearby. Squire Arscott died in 1788. Mr Vincent Calmady took the shooting of the Tetcott estate and about 1872 he collected a small pack of hounds to hunt otter. Then in 1879 he turned his attention to the fox and revived the old Tetcott country with the help of his first whip and kennel man, Phil Back, who joined him in 1886. Mr Calmady’s very successful time at Tetcott produced some really good sport which lasted until 1896, when Mr Scott Brown took over the pack.
Then followed various adjustments of the country with a separate pack (after 1906 known as the Tetcott) hunting the western side. Eventually the war caused Mr Scott Browne to give up his country, and in order to hunt the area left vacant, the then Tetcott hounds moved further north, and the South Tetcott pack was formed to occupy Mr Calmady’s old kennels and to hunt the southern end of the country that presently stretches from the rugged Cornish coast at Crackington Haven to Hatherleigh in West Devon.
All through the war time period the two joint Masters, Mr C B Shuker and Mr R T Harris, left Back to manage the best way he could. After Mr Shuker’s death in 1921, a Committee was formed to run the country, with Mr Scott Browne as Chairman and Mr Harris continuing his position as Master until 1924 when Major Nigel Walker took over the reins for a season. The Hunt was then run by the committee for the ensuing years and carries on today. We are now a much more modern Hunt which is financed by Supporters, Subscribers and Members who as well as donating their own money, work tirelessly to raise funds to keep going.